Friday, April 3, 2015

Stern

CONVERTING





Growing up Jewish and discovering my family was one step away from being non existent thanks to Hitler, I have a hard time trying to understand why anyone would want to convert to Judaism.

My great-grandfather was killed in a concentration camp.  He was only 33 years old.

We are still being killed in this day and age even though most of us have given up on believing in a God, and most of us don't even practice the religion anymore.

Jewish has become more of a birthright in my eyes.  And it was always one that I had to hide most of my life.

Stern--That's my last name--Stern!  That's Jewish, right?  Actually, it's German, and actually, the Stern name was in Hungary...So I can imagine their name was probably something else.  

My grandfather, Alex Stern, from what I understand, was never Jewish.  He was Catholic.  My grandma, Clara, was Jewish...I do not know her birth name.

I don't know a lot about my Hungarian side.  I only know whatever my aunt tells me.  Granted the last time I saw her I was 19, and apparently I said something offensive to my grandmother so badly, they never wanted to see me again.

It is what it is.....And I hate when people tell me the opposite.  You can't control what others say or do...You can only control your actions...So, yeah!!!  It is what it is.

Anyway, my reply to the Stern comment would be....Yes I am Jewish, but I'm not religious....Keep in mind I'm not a quick thinker.  I don't have those knee-jerk reactions to where I can think of something witty to change the topic....Perhaps this is why I write?

So because I say I'm not religious, I'm suddenly labeled an Atheist.  Why?  How did this happen?  What is happening?

It is assumed that because I don't study sanctimonious rituals, I'm not religious.  If you look at the universe, you will see it is infinite.  There is so much to explore.

We are beings filled with energy.  We manifest our own situations....Does that sound like something an Atheist would say?  No, I really want to know because I have no idea.

All I'm saying is convert if you want to.  Don't convert because it's a fad that's going around and such.  Though I have a feeling most haven't picked up a history book because being Jewish was never cool.

End of rant.

~~DJ

No comments:

Comments